10 April 2013

mark it off the list


I have several "lists" in my life. I have my man list, which I wrote over a year ago, and is desperately crying out to be updated. I have a list of movies to see, places to go, people to meet, foods to try, and books to read. 

I never actually write these things down, but when one of them comes up in a conversation I might be having, I definitely say, "Yes! That is on my list!". Sometimes they were conveniently and mentally placed on the list simultaneously with being exclaimed as on said list. In the back of my mind I am usually hoping that the exclamation actually qualifies as a truth, even thought it isn't written down, or I have a lot, A LOT, of fibs to explain to my maker.

I consider myself really lucky to have a baby who will play on the floor for over an hour at a time, multiple times a day, and have started to use some of this time to read books. Don't get annoyed with me if I talk about them all okay? 


I am reading Memoirs of a Geisha. Its been on my book list since the movie came out. I know, I am waaaaaaay behind the bandwagon. And TRUST ME, having graded a surprising amount of book reports that were definitely written from a movie, I know that one should read a book first whenever possible. In my defense I heard about the movie before the book, but I am not sorry it happened in the other order with this one. I am not sure any of the visuals would have come out right in my mind because that culture is so different than what I know. Warblings put aside, it is fanTAStic. 

I am a cooped up English teacher. It can't be helped.

I am all over the place. Point. Read it. See the movie. They're gorgeous.





*update: I wrote this post when I was still in the first half of the book. There are some parts that I ended up not caring for.

No comments: