16 April 2013

I got over the age, but not the song

This song is one of my soul songs. One of the songs that seems to be in my bones you know?

I was probably 13 when I heard this song for the first time. I was having some turmoil of the heart, and thought things could never feel worse. I was crushing on a boy h-a-r-d and he liked one of my closest friends. I was feeling overlooked and unwanted as only a 13 year old girl can (seriously, how did I manage to make everything feel so tragic?). 

I would go home, put this song on repeat, throw myself on my bed (like in Beauty in the beast when she gets locked in her room for the first time. It was a really good body throw. It takes talent to not do neck damage with this kind of action).

Somehow this song put into feeling the right kind of sadness I was feeling. I wanted someone to feel this way about meeeeeee. 

And now, I just love it. Partly for nostalgic reasons, partly because Mr. Withers has an incredible voice, and partly because it is just a good song. That is three parts. Enjoy.


No comments: